Question: Is there a standard clause covering sustainability which you can include in job descriptions?
Including a sustainability statement in the standard job description supports staff throughout the organisation to identify what sustainability means for their role.
The Sustainability Reporting, SDMP guidance and Carbon Reduction Strategy all identify sustainability in job descriptions as a key action.
Here are some example sustainability statements, these can be used as the basis for creating your own statement:
1. The Trust attaches great importance to sustainability and Corporate Social Responsibility. It is therefore the responsibility of all members of staff to ensure that the Trusts resources are used efficiently with minimum wastage throughout their daily activities
2. The Trust aims to be an exemplar organisation in the way in embraces sustainability and meets its corporate social responsibility. To achieve this it is the responsibility of all staff to minimise the environmental impact of their day to day activities and adhere to Trusts policies on sustainability, waste, resource usage and governance.
3. It is the responsibility of all staff to ensure that their day to day activities embrace sustainability and reduce the impact upon the environment by minimise waste and maximise recycling; saving energy; minimise water usage and report any electrical faults, water leakage or other environmental concerns to the facilities or line manager etc.
4. All staff have a personal responsibility and accountability to the Trust to ensure that their day to day activities adhere to the Sustainable Development Policy and minimise the impact upon the environment.
5. The Trust attaches great importance to sustainability and Corporate Social Responsibility. To achieve this it is the responsibility of all staff to minimise the environmental impact of their day to day activities and adhere to Trusts policies on sustainability, waste, resource usage and governance.
6. It is the responsibility of all staff to minimise the Trust’s environmental impact wherever possible. This will include recycling, switching off lights, computers, monitors and equipment when not in use. Helping to reduce paper waste by minimising printing/copying and reducing water usage, reporting faults and heating/cooling concerns promptly and minimising travel. Where the role includes the ordering and use of supplies or equipment the post holder will consider the environmental impact of purchases.
If you would like to make suggestions to add to this list please email Angela North.
« Back to FAQs